This will really impress your friends, but really isnt that difficult.
Short Crust Pastry - 500g
Cooking Apples 2 medium
- Cut the pastry in half and roll each half into a ball.
- Drop the first ball onto a floured surface and roll out until it is the same size as the oven proof plate you are using
- Place the rolled pastry onto the plate. Crack the egg into a cup and whisk lightly. brush the surface of the pastry with the egg to prevent the base going soggy during cookinig
- Peel the apples, cut into quarters and remove the core. cut into thin slices about 3mm thick.
- Arrange the slices into a layer on the pastry (leaving the edge clear) and sprinkle with a third of the sugar. Add a second layer, more sugar and so on until you have used all the apple.
- Roll out the second ball of pastry on a flored surface, and lay on top of the pie.
- Gently press down the edges to make the top stick to the bottom pastry.
- Finally, brus some remaining egg over the top
- Pop into the oven at 180 C for about 40 mins. When you take it out, check if the apple is soft by gently inserting a knife or skewer. Return the the oven for a further 10 mins if the apple isnt soft enough.